Old 12-08-2003, 06:02 PM
simy1

Default Vegetarians ( Compost ingredients?

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in message ...

pH is meaningful only for compounds that ionise; alcohol is not
one such, unless my memory is at fault. Coffee is not particularly
acid. And acid stomach contents tend to get neutralised as they pass
further down the gut, though I don't know the mechanisms, which is
why bacteria can live in our intestine at all.

I don't know who first invented the pseudo-science that you are
quoting, but I have seen it before, and it is complete nonsense.
So, I am pretty certain, is the theory that humans can thrive for
a few decades with no vitamin B-12 intake at all.

It is not pseudoscience - it is an hypothesis. The facts are

1) vegan groups where B12 deficiency is absent
2) B12 deficiency being a proven fact
3) animal (including human) waste containing very large amounts of B12
4) other animals apparently being able to manufacture their B12 and
turning into B12 sources for us

Feel free to incorporate all of these facts into any theory.