Old 13-08-2003, 12:06 AM
Rusty Hinge

Default Why won't my Peppers ripen?

The message

Hmmm. Try growing Scotch Bonnet, they won't chew those! (Twice.) Only,
if you do, you should wear goggles and rubber/plastic gloves when
preparing them. No, I'm not joking.

Well, I have grown them, and they were pretty anaemic. There isn't
enough sun in this country to get them decently hot - and I am NOT
excluding the past couple of weeks!

We used to mill them. *EVERYBODY* in the factory wore full-face masks
with filter cartridges. The frozen chillis were passed through a liquid
nitrogen tunnel and fed into an Erschell (Sp?) mill, where they were
reduced to powder.

Even with the masks, eyes streamed and coughs broke out everywhere. One
lass got som powder in a plastic glove and had to have hospital
treatment.

Mind you, these were shipped from IIRC, Thailand.

But, as I have said before, I am a genuine colonial (native), born
in the dying days of Empire (over which the sun never sets). May
I recommend reading Kipling's "Song of the Native Born"?

Ha! I was born when the Empire was fighting (mainly) shoulder to
shoulder with us and hadn't really begun to fragment and/or metamorphose
into a Commonwealth.

--
Rusty
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.