Old 13-08-2003, 01:23 AM
Steve Coyle

Default Fertilizing Trees

Howdy folks,
In regards to this message:

(Monty) wrote in message . com...
I have several new trees (all within 2 years of age). I was wondering
what type of fertilization I should do and when. Thanks

The best thing to do is get a soil test. It's some work and a
small expense but in the long run you can save yourself from adding
nutrients that you may not need or may even do more harm than good.
Contact the county extension agency for your county to get a soil test
kit. We have talked about this a number of times in this forum, but in
some areas of Travis county there are toxic levels of phosphates in
our soil. The only way to find out is through a soil test in which
case the only recomendation will be to add nitrogen and the soil test
will tell you how much. Nitrogen is available through a variety of
organic sources.
As far as timing, either the early spring or early fall when new
growth is kicking off. You don't want to force growth when the trees (
or any plant ) are slowing down in the summer or winter.
One note about mulch around trees, keep it off the bark so it
doesn't hold moisture against the bark and rot it out, girdling the
tree.

Take care, hope everyone is having a good summer.
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com