Old 13-08-2003, 02:29 AM
Bob Hobden

Default Pending Glut of Tomatoes...

"JennyC" wrote in message
Right - I've dealt with the glut of basil and am beginning to look
like tagliatelle with pesto.........

Now the tomatoes are ripening. These are four plants my cousin gave me
They are going through the GH roof and drooping with fruit. Here's the
crunch - I don't like raw tomatoes !

Ant good recipes for them please ?? Preferably NOT chutney as we don't
eat much of it in our house and I prefer Branston Pickle :~))

Sounds like you like Italian food so try making your own Pasatta (?) which
is used as the base of a lot of their sauces and can also be used to make
soup fresh amongst other uses.
Simply cut the tomatoes up into chunks and boil up in a saucepan until they
are soft and mushy.
Then liquidise, but not too much, and strain through a sieve into a bowl.
This will take out a lot of the pips and skin etc., leaving you your pasatta
to cool.
Pour into plastic bags in 500g lots or whatever your recipe needs, expel all
air, seal, and freeze.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.