Old 13-08-2003, 03:57 AM
zookeeper

Default Water changes, was "best price for koi food on the net??"

BenignVanilla wrote:
"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
You give in so easy. Btw, did I read in one thread you weren't doing
"weekly partial water changes" so how spendy is water in your
area? ;o) ~ jan

Ahhh...now here is a topic I can argue with...I am still living in the
school of thought, that water changes are not neccessary and potentially
dangerous. Of course, I lose about an inch or so a week, and it rains every
37 seconds here, so I am replacing an inch or so of water every week ...

My two cents on water changes: If I recall, the reasoning is that
dumping water from the pond and refilling it is to dilute unwanted
minerals and byproducts, and replace wanted minerals and byproducts. So
you'd be getting rid of extra nitrates and metals, pesticide and
herbicide residues etc. brought in by rainfall, and replacing it with
usable minerals in the fresh water. [i think I just repeated myself --
not enuf sleep last night.]

That said, I tend to do monthly or biweekly water "exchanges" as long as
I don't have a chemical problem in the pond (pH, KH, ammonia, etc.) or
I'm limiting water changes to cure "green pond syndrome."
--
Zk (sig compliments of BV)
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies