Old 13-08-2003, 04:25 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default Something ate our pumpkin :-(

The message
from "Martin Richards" contains these words:

Having started our allotment in July (OK, it wasn't planned that way, but it
happened), the kids were quite proud of the single proto-pumpkin we found on
Friday night. Last night, I discovered someone else had taken a fancy to
it - someone with small teeth... Squirrels seem the prime candidate since
I've seen lots on the site.

So, in case we get any more (there are a couple of flowers still), any
thoughts on the best way to keep such nasties off the patch? I'd wondered
about a chicken wire cage, or re-using the netting we don't need over the
strawberries any more.

Try old drawers from freezers..they are a lot stronger than netting,
and you might be able to get them free from your local council dump.
Very useful for covering seedlings too; you can staple some plastic or
fleece over it to make a cheap moveable minicloche.

Janet