Old 13-08-2003, 05:17 AM
volts500

Default OT virus

"volts500" wrote in message
om...

"Kelly E Jones" wrote in message
In article ,
Wilson wrote:

Unfortunately, one of the effects of this bug is that it can
crash/reboot your system before you're able to download ZA, or an
update to your virus cleaning software, etc. (This prevented me from
being able to fix my system last night.)

I found this standalone blaster remover from Symantec. It's small
enough I should be able to download it before my system reboots, so
hopefully this will work:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...laster.worm.re
oval.tool.html

Kelly

One thing that you MUST have on your computer besides Zone Alarm is

Download
Accelerator with resume supported

Yes, I thought of this as well. Unfortunately, I didn't have it yet,
and I couldn't download it because of the da*n worm! (My computer is
relatively new, and I haven't had a chance yet to download ZA, or a
download manager, or update my virus defs, etc. I'll be doing all
that as soon as get the system cleaned up.)

FWIW, if one does the Ctrl/Alt/Delete thing to bring up the Windows Task
Manager, under the "Processes" tab, click the Image Name (gray box),

scroll
down to msblast.exe, click to highlight it, then click the "end process"
box. Close that out and go into regedit, like you said earlier, and

delete
the entry (using the path you stated)..........one can then get on the
internet without being booted by the worm (using a phone line modem). I
repaired my broadband connection _first_, though. Then downloaded the new
virus definitions and the repair tool from Symantec. Ran the repair tool
(supposed to run it twice), then downloaded the MS patch.

Sorry, like KenCo said, the regedit path is:

KenCo wrote:
"also, if you know how to use regedit
kill these
HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/current ver/run
windowsupdate/msblast.exe
system32/msblast.exe"