Old 13-08-2003, 08:42 AM
J. Lane

Default Mulching miseries

I can't cut the beasts down because I'm renting the property. I have begged
and pleaded with my landlord to take a chainsaw to them. He thinks they make
great shade trees and would be too costly to remove. They're 60 or more feet
high. I've even contemplated drilling holes in them and filling the holes
with root rot, but the dammned things would fall on the house!
As to what kills them: nothing short of root rot or dynamite!
--
Jayel
"J. Lane" wrote in message
. ca...
Hi all,
Here's my problem. I have two Chinese Elms in my yard and some of my
neighbours have some too. These damned trees spread their seeds all over

my
yard every spring.I spend most of June on my knees scooping seeds out of

my
veggie garden and flower beds trying to keep the seedlings from growing(
which they will, given any water and some medium to grow in). Thousands of
the buggers have to be pulled all summer.I'd love to cut the trees down

but
can't. The issue I'm facing is that I need to mulch, but don't know with
what. Bark mulch would be preferable, but the seeds would have a wonderful
medium to grow in and be almost impossible to remove except as seedlings.
Gravel may be ok but get too hot. The summers here get to be 40 degees
celcius( somewhere around 100 farenhight).
Help!
--
Jayel