Old 13-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Mooshie peas

Default GMO biz vs consumers

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 20:42:47 -0700, Walter Epp
posted:

"Moosh:}" wrote:
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:16:43 -0700, Walter Epp
posted:

"Gordon Couger" wrote:
When the FDA and USDA say that there are no differences worth labeling most
of the people trust them as they trust them for assuring the safety of their
milk, meat and drugs. Our government does not work like a lot of
parliamentary governments that form a gang and railroad things though until
they can no longer agree and break up and make a new gang. Every issue
stands on its own.

Since we have reguatutory agencies with a long history and proven expertise
we trust them more than people in Europe seem to trust theirs.

Only if we are ignorant of how they are operating.
Michael Taylor worked for Monsanto, then went to work for the FDA where he
wrote the rules for labels regarding Monsanto's genetically engineered product
saying there's no difference, then he went back to work for Monsanto.

And you have evidence of any fraud or other wrongdoing?

Fraud is not needed when your own people are writing the rules.
Do you know what conflict of interest is?

Yes. And it is NOT fraud.

When Richard Burroughs at the FDA held up approval due to scientifically
inadequate research and challenged company studies that dropped sick cows
from test trials and manipulated data in other ways to make health and
safety problems disappear, he was fired.

And where did you get this story from?

You commented elsewhere on http://www.psrast.org/bghsalmonella.htm but
now your question indicates you didn't bother to actually read it.

Enough said. I didn't comment, other than to dismiss it.

See also http://www.monitor.net/monitor/9904b/monsantofda.html

It seems to me that the American electorate is like the cow standing
on it's teat and bellowing with pain, too silly to lift its foot.

Hey, your regulator is elected by your democratic process.
Get off your collective asses and vote if it's not doing what you
want!

Corporations have one duty in life. Make more profit for the
investors. If you don't like what they do in order to obtain this,
then you need to kick your regulator in the butt an make him regulate.
If his rules are inadequate, then lobby your elected representative to
change the rules.

Of corse if the complaints against the corporations turn out to be
just spurious, greenie, scare tactics, then the loss of profits will
mean loss of employment amonst the electorate. The whole shebang is a
giant compromise between ultimate safety of doing nothing and doing as
much as you can with as little harm. Not an easy path, but one that is
usually fairly well followed IME.