Old 13-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Chet Hayes

Default lawn roots dying

I agree it sounds like grubs. With severe grub damage, the grass
pulls up like carpet. Lift up the grass in some border areas around
the damaged spots with a flat spade and see if you find grubs.

I don't know the grub cycle specifics for CA, but here on the east
coast, next few weeks is the time to treat with Diazinon if that's
what you're using. The grubs are young and feeding near the surfact,
so they are susceptable. Applying Diazinon earlier is generally not
effective for grubs.

The other choice is Grub-X which works for several months and should
be put down earlier.

wrote in message ...
"Steve T" wrote:
I did with the Scott's but frankly can't remember about the Diazinon. I'd
like to think that I followed the directions to make sure it got all
soaked in. I assumed the problem was below the lawn. What bug(s) is
causing this problem? Thanks, Steve T.
wrote in message
"Steve T" wrote:
Live in California. My lawn is well established, 15 years+. Noticed
that the lawn is dying in certain areas. I go to rake and the area
comes up. Something eating the roots. Lawn appears to be just laying
on top of soil. I have used Scott's Summer Blend fertilizer and
followed up with Ortho Diazinon a few weeks later with no help. Newer
areas continue to appear. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you,
Steve T.

Did you water in the diazinon immediately? It only lasts for about
12 hours if it's in the sun, without irrigation.

I did with the Scott's but frankly can't remember about the Diazinon. I'd
like to think that I followed the directions to make sure it got all
soaked in. I assumed the problem was below the lawn. What bug(s) is
causing this problem? Thanks, Steve T.

It sounds like grub damage, but I only know the Great Lakes type
turf, I'm in Ohio. Grubs are pretty easy to find right below
the thatch layer, where the soil starts.

They will be curled up in a C. They look like funky land shrimp.

Try pulling some turf up right at the edge of the brown area, where
it starts to get green again. You should find a few or more, if
that's your problem.