Old 13-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Dktrimb

Default should I avoid Phyllostachys aurea completely

easily,inexpensive, thrives, etc." What makes me consider it is that
I don't have to spend hundreds of dollars to obtain it... and that it
obviously does well in this area (North Florida.) There are several
areas where it is growing wild and where I could easily dig up all I
wanted to transplant to here... In my ignorance I think that I could
just plant it somewhere on these thirty acres and keep it under
control by mowing around it..

David,

Depending on where you are in North Florida, you should not just automatically
dismiss the "clumpers". Any of the Bambusa Multiplexes do well in North
Florida. (If you happen to be near Jax,. I'll be glad to give you a start of
Alphone Karr.) Also, Bambusa Tuldoides, Textilis, Ventricosa, and Malingensis
are quite cold resistent. I've found that even if these varieties should
freeze all the way to the ground (which is very unlikely) that they will come
back the next spring. I've had Oldhamii freeze to the ground repeatedly and
each year it still puts up larger and larger culms. Just some food for
thought. I know what you mean about having caught the bamboo bug.
Doug