Old 13-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Chris Owens

Default Maple Tree Bark Disease

Dan Dietrich wrote:

I have a Maple tree that is has some type of disease on the trunk.
The bark is coming off and there are small white things growing on
it. Has anybody seen this and know how to treat it?
Here is a pictu http://www.esysdev.com/Maple.gif

Thanks in advance...

Ohhh, yuckers! This looks like either sun-scald or freezing
damage, or maybe a combo of the two. The white stuff is
shelf-mushrooms . . . they aren't the cause, but a symptom; you
can remove them with your fingers. Your tree can survive this;
what'd I'd recommend is shielding the trunk from sun and freezing
for a couple of years. You can make a sunshade out of a cylinder
of chickenwire and shade cloth, set about 6" from the trunk. The
best freezing protection I've found is flexible sheets of
close-cell foam that you can duct-tape around the trunk AFTER the
ground freezes; remove as soon as you hit spring thaw.

Chris Owens