Old 03-02-2003, 05:41 AM
jc

Default Orange Trees and Lemon Trees

"Dickee12" wrote in message
Hi all, we have come to own an orange and lemon tree in our back

yard. The
Oranges are extremely bitter tasting and the lemons grow tto big; the

size of
grapefruits, and are too pulpy.

1 How can we make the oranges be less bitter tasting?

2. How can we make the lemon tree grow normal sized lemons?

Pleae answer on my E-mail at

It sounds like you may have a sour orange and a Ponderosa lemon or rough
lemon. Sour oranges were once used as ornamental trees in Phoenix
landscapes, probably also elsewhere, but are now less common as people
convert to low water use trees. They were also once the most common
rootstock for other citrus. In young trees, suckers would often sprout
below the bud union and take over the tree if not controlled.

Similarly, rough lemon was once used as a rootstock and would also
develop suckers below the bud union. The suckers are usually more
vigorous than the grafted tree and the tendency for some people was to
allow the more vigorous shoots to develop. This resulted in the main
part of the tree being a sour orange or rough lemon instead of the
grafted tree.

Olin