Old 13-08-2003, 08:12 PM
JNJ

Default Mulching miseries

Here's my problem. I have two Chinese Elms in my yard and some of my
neighbours have some too. These damned trees spread their seeds all over

my
yard every spring.I spend most of June on my knees scooping seeds out of

my
veggie garden and flower beds trying to keep the seedlings from growing(
which they will, given any water and some medium to grow in). Thousands of
the buggers have to be pulled all summer.I'd love to cut the trees down

but
can't. The issue I'm facing is that I need to mulch, but don't know with
what. Bark mulch would be preferable, but the seeds would have a wonderful
medium to grow in and be almost impossible to remove except as seedlings.
Gravel may be ok but get too hot. The summers here get to be 40 degees
celcius( somewhere around 100 farenhight).

Mulch heavily -- at least that way it won't be so hard to pull the seedlings
that crop up. You'd be surprised just how easily they come out when they
start in mulch. You may also want to purchase a leaf blower -- during
the heavier seeding periods, use the leaf blower to blow the seeds out of
your beds. This will help reduce the amount of seedlings you end up
pulling.

James