Old 13-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Andrew Burgess

Default Fish pond water kills all fish within 24 hours.

"Jim Brown" writes:

Timothy Tom wrote in message
. com...
I am really thinking about giving up on keeping fish in this pond. I
bought 3 bags of ice, and placed them in a large trash bag to prevent
leakage of water. The pond temperature came down to 83 degrees. The
goldfish taken from the bowl from the auto refill system, alive for
24hrs, was acclimated to the pond temp and released in the pond. After
release it looked fine. I watched it for about 10 mins, and once
again it looked fine. After about 90 mins. I checked the pond again
and found it floating. Unless someone tells me that 83 degree water
can kill a goldfish within two hours, I have nothing else to test. I
have no other theories. I have tested everything I can possibly test,
and ruled out everything that can be ruled out. One of the last things
I can do is take the pond water that just killed the fish and bring it
in to the house to further decrease the temp.

Using the pond water in the house won't give much of a difference with your
heat wave. Is it possible to rig up some shadecloth over the pond to see if
the water can be cooled a bit out of the direct sun?

Isn't inside the house out of direct sun :-)