Old 13-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Laurie Moseley

Default Banned Herbicides & Pesticides

"It seems that you're the one with twisted knickers. We all know what's meant
without being pedantic."

No we don't all know what's meant - that is the whole point of this discussion.
It is a writer's responsibility to try to avoid misunderstandings on the part
of their readers. That is why we have a common language.

More generally, those who call other people "pedantic" are usually being
woolly. Unless you are very careful in your use of words, there is always a
danger of miscommunication, and of your readers not understanding you in the
way that you thought that you intended.

Pedantry is one of the great safeguards of freedom and democracy. Let's start a
"Save pedantry" campaign.

Laurie
Laurie (Laurence) Moseley

Plus Ultra

Expert Systems, Decision-Making, Argentinian Tango & Golf