Old 14-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Kirra

Default Black ratsnakes for vole control?

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.5a7bda6be1ed918efe6848b4a35663c2 @1060745586.cotse.net...
I'm still being slack about the roses, four potted still need
planting, and I still have not sprayed anything at all since
mid-May. I just feel sort of apathetic about them. I want
everybody who is going to die to just go ahead and do it, *then*
I will spray. Joseph's Coat is hanging on by a cane, as is
Crystalline, Simply Marvelous, and Arizona. I thought they were
dead. I think the voles taking out my 3-year-old pride and joy--

GRANADA!--is what did me in. Lots of the roses are still going
great. Today I saw little finches eating bugs from them. I have
never seen that before.

Just rambling on ...

My sympathies to you. I hadn't lost a rose yet (not counting a mini I got on
sale for .50c - it was going to die anyway but thought I had to try to give
it a chance), but now it looks like my Granada bare root is going to die! It
was leafing out nicely and then it just started wilting. The canes have gone
black and even the shots from the graft are dieing. On one hand, I guess I
can say that at least it is only 1 from 60 but why that one! Why not another
that I wasn't so looking forward to ...

I also thought Jadis might not make it. Her canes were a weird combination
of lime green and grey and didn't look so healthy. Yesterday I noticed some
nice new shots just starting to leaf out - it looks like Jadis might make it
after all.

Kirra