Old 03-02-2003, 03:20 PM
Dwayne

Default Tomato Cages Online?

I also suggest you get a large roll of wire and cut it in 6 ft lengths. I
want to emphasize getting the one with the large squares in the wire (4
inches X 4 inches) to allow you to put your hand through from the side to
pick the tomatoes. I inherited some that had the 2 inch by 4 inch holes and
the only way to pick from those was by reaching down from the top.

You may want to consider getting wire that will be 5 feet tall also. If you
get shorter or the cages available on line, and you plant indeterminate
plants, they will grow out of the top of the cage. I had found 8 cages that
come apart and fold up like the ones in the catalogs. They had 4 spindly
legs each. My indeterminate tomatoes climbed out of them and the wind came
up and started blowing the cages over because the legs bent. Big mess.
With the fence cages, you can cut the bottom ring of wire off leaving a 4
inch long let every 4 inches. When you press them into the ground, they are
more inclined to stay.

What ever you decide, good luck. Dwayne

"Cricket" wrote in message
The ones I speak of are significantly lighter, cheaper, and easier to work
with than rebar. The only drawback is that the wire I speak of comes in
150' rolls and if you just need 6 cages, you have lots of extra materials.
Perhaps in this case you can find a number of other gardeners top go in on
it with you.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket
"Cricket" wrote in message
If you want to get a bunch of 'em, I recommend buying a 150' roll of 10
gauge 6" mesh concrete reinforcement wire. Every six feet, cut in the
middle of the wire span, bend the wire into a circle, and bend the 3"

cut
pieces over to make a perfect tomato/cucumber/etc cage.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket
"Phaedrine Stonebridge" wrote in

message
news

Does anyone know of a place I can buy the tall (at least 54") tomato
cages online? Like 25 to 50 of them?