Old 14-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Jock

Default Cat Deterrent suggestions

The real issue here is that you copped shit as a kid and you can empathise
with cats.
Your problem.
Jock
"Nicholas Steel" wrote in message
om...
I fail to understand the angst towards cats especially when dogs
regularly tear kids/old ladies to pieces,leave monster turds and can
wreck a back garden.

Cats dont do this - they bury their droppings , dont attack people and
you cant detect their presence in a garden.

There's a dichtomy here - cat haters are often dog lovers - usually
men but men of a particular type.The aspects of a cat appeal to
someone who has no interest in domination but puts a high value on
affection and curiousity. Dogs appeal to someone who absolutely must
dominate - wives, mistresses, mates, work collegues, neighbours etc.
Mostly they're men.

One guy I worked with was typical - he loved dogs but also loved his
beer, his footy, his fishing and his extra marital affairs. Overall a
blokey dickhead.He often boasted about his cruelty to cats as a
teenager in a country town.

What he liked about his smelly mutt was its loyalty (subtext -
dependence on him). He would call and it would come. The same dynamic
applied with his wife. Like many dickheads he couldnt fathom the
independence of cats. For that matter he couldnt fathom me - I didnt
like footy or drink beer you see. He spread rumours that I was gay.
When I confronted him about this in the basement carpark he went to
water straight away - a typical gutless dog lover. His strength was
entirely surface.

He hadnt a clue of his inner self or what made him tick nor was he
able to express himself emotionally. He had no idea how to satisfy his
wife emotionally or sexually - his world was entirely physical - just
beer, footy and his dog.

He was typical of doglovers. I've had many confrontations with them
mostly over dogs intruding into my property when let off the lead. One
golden retriever ran at my cat. I had a shovel handy and threw it at
the mutt. It hit but not hard. The dog ran over beside its owner - an
alpha male with a shaved head astride a bike. I pushed him very hard
and he fell on top of the mutt. This was sufficient punishment for
both.

At my weekender at Pt Lonsdale another golden retriever ran onto my
property followed closely by its owner - this time an alpha male gone
to seed - he had it all - the shaved head, fat that he thought was
muscle, arrogant disposition
I told him that his mutt running amok was breaking council by laws.
This ratcheted up into an argument. There would have been a similar
reckoning to the previous incident (a shove)except that his two
children were behind him.