Old 14-08-2003, 07:27 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default pond filter

I'm surprised after reading Norm Meck's stuff that you pose the
question(s).

The only problem with "it's the filter" are my filterless ponsai or lily
pond with lots of plants, no suspended algae and clear water.

Though I must add out of honesty, I tried to add more fish this year than
last year and now have murky water. ~ jan

Yes I have. Furthermore, Norm Meck, who wrote that web page, also wrote
another (http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/GRENH2O.html) with a
description of how algae is killed from a byproduct of rotting algae and
a type of bacteria (not the ones that remove ammonia) found in filters.
He disagrees with your comment that "the plants start taking up more
nutrients, the algae can't compete and clear water results". It's more
along the lines of dead algae gets caught in the filter, heterotroph
bacteria feeds on the dead matter, and some substance is released into
the water that kills algae. So, full sun is fine and lots of nutrients
in the water is also fine.

Experience with my pond follows his theory to a T and doesn't agree with
the usual descriptions of pond chemistry I find on the net.

So, given that Meck's description of how to get rid of algae disagrees
with conventional wisdom and it more closely describes what happened in
my pond, I think it's fair to say there's more going on than most people
realize. Conventional wisdom says put in plants to remove algae and I
suspect it's more along the lines of remove the algae so the plants have
a chance to grow. If people put the plants in via a veggie filter then
they've also added the mechanism to kill the algae. If instead they add
the plants without a place for the algae to rot they will continue to
have green water (my experience). When someone asks how to get rid of
green water and the response is add water cress and hyacinth I suspect
it won't work (also my experience).

Matt

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/