Old 14-08-2003, 08:23 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Banned Herbicides & Pesticides

"martin" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:15:29 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:20:10 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Gardeners should realise that they frequently get their knickers in a

twist
through the misuse of terms which have prior definitions differing

from
those they *think* are correct. It has, for instance, occurred in

this
very
thread. "Organic" itself is a case in point. There is a great

tendency
call "beneficient" chemicals "organic" and others "inorganic".

It helps to sell organic food at vast prices to the naive, who think
that they are getting something clean and natural, rather than just
more stuff sprayed with approved "organic" chemicals.

Indeed. I wish I could make my better half understand that.

There was a very good program on BBC about it.
According to them the Organic Food Industry have a large book full of
approved alternative natural chemicals. Copper was the alternative
thing to put on potatoes.

Where do they place slaked lime? It is not a natural chemical, but is
produced by calcining limestone and allowing the quicklime produced in this
manner to be hydrated. What is natural about this??

Franz

--
Martin