Old 14-08-2003, 08:24 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Banned Herbicides & Pesticides

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Gardeners should realise that they frequently get their knickers in a

twist

It seems that you're the one with twisted knickers. We all know what's

meant
without being pedantic.

Actually, you don't. Please, without looking at what I recently said about
lime, tell me whether it is organic or inorganic.

I have just rechecked the definition of the term "organic" in the

Penguin
Dictionary of Chemistry.
".........Organic chemistry is now the study of the compounds of carbon,
whether they be isolated from natural sources or synthesised in the
laboratory.........."

As a one-time organic chemist I know that.

You shouldn't make assumptions.

I made no assumptions anout your profession. I only commented on the vague
usage of the term "organic" in gardening circles.
I have gardened for close on seventy years, and I have felt no need to
classify anything as "organic" or otherwise in the gardening sense. I use
ony the categories "beneficient" and "harmful" in the current context.
This avoids me falling into the trap of ever calling copper sulphate and
lime "organic" and DDT "not organic".

Franz

Franz