Old 14-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Chuck Gadd

Default New Tank Lighting Question

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 03:07:32 GMT, "Pokey"
wrote:

For all you aquarium plant experts:
I'm setting up a new 75gal planted tank. I understand that 2-3 watts per
gallon is what to shoot for. The store bought the tank from is suggesting
that I go with something called a compact fluorescent smart light with two
bulbs equaling about 130 watts. He says that 2-3 watts per gallon is not

130 watts of CF will be pretty good, probably comparable to 4 standard
T-12 tubes, due to the increased efficiency of the CF, assuming the CF
has good reflectors, etc.

necessary and that there are many other variables to consider when deciding
upon lighting needs. He also said that I would probably get an algae
explosion with so much light.

If you just add 2-3 watts per gallon and no CO2, and not many plants,
then you probably would. But, if you plant the tank fairly heavily,
and inject CO2, then 2-3 watts would result in lots of fast growing
healthy plants.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua