Old 14-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Getting rid of yew stumps - advice please

"david" wrote in message ...
Do you live in the country? If so, and if access is suitable, a tractor
would pull them out with a chain, so long as the stump is long enough. JCB
even better - the job becomes trivial.
David

"Judy Donovan" wrote in message
Hi,
We have just cut down a yew hedge and are left with a long row of stumps

and
roots - these are very sturdy so will take a bit of removing. Does anyone
know anyway to make this easier? I was wondering about applying something
to the stumps to try and kill them before trying to dig them up - would

that
make it easier? they're very secure in the ground at the moment and it

will
take some doing I think.

[...]

Sad, though. Of course the garden must be the way you want it, and
it's good sense to treat garden trees as disposable, and relatively
young yews aren't endangered; but I can't help reflecting that the
oldest living tree in Europe may be an ancient yew in Scotland. I'd
love to think a tree I planted might still be there in two or three
thousand years' time.

Mike.