Old 14-08-2003, 02:22 PM
David J Bockman

Default aerating lawn: anyone try those shoes?

Yes, if you could find it in sufficient quantities I would use that myself,
no question.

Dave

"animaux" wrote in message
I wouldn't use topsoil. I'd use compost. To be very specific, I'd use

fungal
compost, instead of bacterial. Trees and turf do much better when you can

add
mycorrhizae, and when you add fungal based compost, you do just that. Or,

buy
some of the mycorrhizae which is easy to buy these days and put a small

amount
into the holes, or mix with the compost before spreading it to fill the

core
holes. I don't recommend doing this before aerating. I do it after I've
aerated.

Victoria

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:49:51 GMT, "David J Bockman"

wrote:

And, if you're feeling *really* adventurous, laying down a good top

dressing
of high quality top soil either before or just after you core aerate (I
can't decide which is best, yet) will really improve the soil as well.

"Frogleg" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:06:23 GMT, "Warren"
wrote:

Heidi wrote:
Speaking of aerating lawns (dog safe fertilizer) has anyone ever

tried
those strap on aerating shoes?

As David already mentioned, if you do manage to get them to poke holes
in your lawn, they'll compress the soil around the tiny, narrow, and
must too shallow hole they'll make. Don't waste your money on them.

I usually rent a core aerator myself.

Latest issue of 'Organic Gardening' had a note on aerating, agreeng
completely with David and Warren. They further mentioned leaving the
extracted cores to dry a few days, then mowing over them to break up
and redistribute this material.