Old 14-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Banned Herbicides & Pesticides

"It seems that you're the one with twisted knickers. We all know what's

meant
without being pedantic."

No we don't all know what's meant - that is the whole point of this

discussion.
It is a writer's responsibility to try to avoid misunderstandings on the

part
of their readers. That is why we have a common language.

Ah - but if we had to define every word we used we'd really be in a pickle.
Very many 'common' words have several meanings, if that were no so there'd
be no need for a thesaurus.

For example - a few words picked out of the air - common, pickle, several,
mother, string, keep, stay ... I shan't bother to continue but they show my
point - that words should be understood in the context they are used. This
is a gardening ng therefore the word 'organic' is understood as having a
meaning relevant to gardening and doesn't need to have a dictionary
definition to qualify it.

Mary