Old 14-08-2003, 07:02 PM
animaux

Default Full Sun Question

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:13:52 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Yes. In the interest of brevity, I decided to omit that local
conditions may make "full sun" intolerable for some plants. However,
sunburn or no, my own most successful (veg and flower) garden was in a
situation where "full sun" meant dawn to dusk, with summer
temperatures often above 90F. My recollection is far from perfect, but
I don't believe I ever had a plant die from excess sunlight. As long
as these full-sun critters had plenty of water, they seemed to thrive.
Oh, wait. The celeriac was a complete failure.

Oh, well, I garden with xeric conditions so I don't use plants which require
tons of water. I reserve that to one type of plant, brugmansia, which are in
huge containers and often require twice a day watering in high summer. Tomatoes
will not produce here at temperatures above 75 at night, or 90 daytime. My fall
tomatoes are starting to flower and I should have beautiful, ripe fruits end of
October. I can't wait. They cannot take full sun all day.

Best sun? Please explain.

Think outside the box. Geesh. The best sunlight is that of morning sun. If
you have two locations for full sun plants, I would recommend you place them in
the eastern full sun position. Afternoon sun is degraded somewhat, and
conditions are much hotter, closing for sure the stomata on the leaf surface,
making it hard for the plant to remain hydrated and turgid. That's why many
plants in mid-afternoon wilt. It's not because there's a lack of water, it's
because of high heat and blasting sun.

This wasn't the question.

Are we having a ****y fit day?

Oh, jeez. So no one else's experiences are worthwhile if they haven't
"worked in the industry"?

Who the **** said that? You are either in a bad mood, or have nothing to add.
Either way, your an annoying ass today.

Which is, what? 4hrs? 6hrs? 8hrs? I see that sunrise in Austin is now
approx. 7am, which would make "morning til 2pm sun" 7 hrs. Probably
adequate.

Is that a question?

Roses love heat and sun and can take it all day, provided
you buy the right rose for the right place and provide heavily amended soil with
lots of compost and plenty of water and fertilizer.

This also wasn't the question.

Sorry, I answered a question as if there were lurkers who may have wondered what
about roses. Sorry I didn't fit into your neat anal retentive way of answering.