Old 14-08-2003, 11:11 PM
Anne Lurie

Default powerless ponders in the East

I just saw this news, and it brings back unpleasant memories of a blackout
we experience while living in Queens back in the summer of 1977 (I think
that was the year).

We were at least fortunate enough to live in a row house, so we had water,
unlike some people in high-rise buildings. More important, we lived in a
neighborhood where we did not have to worry about looters burning down our
house or businesses; many people were not nearly so fortunate.

There must have been thousands & thousands of people on subways at the time.
The trains have A/C, but the stations don't (or didn't in the 80's) --
also, people could have several sets of stairs to climb, and that's assuming
that the train was at a station rather than caught between two stations.
Actually, come to think of it, those poor souls may still be stuck on the
trains, since the doors may not have opened, and the is the HUGE risk of
being electrocuted by the third rail (electrified) if the power should
suddenly go back on, even for a few seconds.

Aaargh, I just remembered that the kids just moved to Detroit -- and the
power's out there, too!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"K30a" wrote in message

Am watching TV and seeing seas of people on the streets of
NYC. My goodness, what a big power outage! When you get your
power back on, any rec.ponders have a story to tell?
Stay cool...

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html