Old 15-08-2003, 04:10 AM

Default Soil amendment reccomendations

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:40:50 -0400, "JNJ" wrote:

In addition to adding all I described I also sprinkle the wood ashes from
my wood stove in the garden throughout the winter.

I've done the same around my lilacs, but with wood ashes from the grill --
works out great, we get some nicely smoked foodstuffs and my lilacs get a
little bit'o good stuff!

I'd like to have a compost pile but I have a small yard and haven't

decided
just where I'd put it yet.

Look at getting a bin that you can use -- they're a bit more tidy and take
less from the yard's overall appeal. there are a number of options out
there, including some that are actually small drums -- instead of using a
pitchfork to turn it, you simply turn a crank and rotate it.

James

Actually the city will give me a plastic compost bin for free. It's not
large enough to supply me with all that I need but will help with summer
vegetable scraps and such...better than digging a hole around my plants. I
plant things rather close and when they are full grown it tough to get in
just to harvest.

sparkie