Old 15-08-2003, 04:49 AM
Earnest Trawler

Default Getting rid of yew stumps - advice please

"Judy Donovan" wrote in message
Hi,
We have just cut down a yew hedge and are left with a long row of

stumps
and
roots - these are very sturdy so will take a bit of removing. Does

anyone
know anyway to make this easier? I was wondering about applying

something
to the stumps to try and kill them before trying to dig them up -

would
that
make it easier? they're very secure in the ground at the moment and

it
will
take some doing I think.

[...]

Sad, though. Of course the garden must be the way you want it, and
it's good sense to treat garden trees as disposable, and relatively
young yews aren't endangered; but I can't help reflecting that the
oldest living tree in Europe may be an ancient yew in Scotland. I'd
love to think a tree I planted might still be there in two or three
thousand years' time.

Mike.

I know what you mean Mike. Two miles from me is an ancient yew tree
estimated to be 1600 years old, every time I see it I imagine this little
sapling sitting there as the last of the Roman legions packed up and left.

Earnest Trawler