Old 15-08-2003, 05:06 AM
Scopata Fuori

Default Black ratsnakes for vole control?

We have bats, owls,
hawks, and some stray cats, but not many of the latter due to a leash
law and lots of animal lovers. (In other words, we keep them inside and
safe.)

Might not be many of the latter, due to the owls and hawks. Food chain, you
know.

Black snakes, in the US, are harmless, beneficial creatures. The only
exception I am aware of, are the notorious cottonmouth snakes, found near
water. Black snakes look scary, especially big ones, but just let them go
their way, and they will not bother you. They won't bother you, in fact,
unless you insist upon bothering them, and they are unable to escape any
other way.

If I had black snakes, and they were eating vermin, I'd make sure to let
them have a nice safe place to hide, like the woodpile, so they wouldn't be
tempted to try to come in the house to nest.

Also, their presence tends to discourage copperheads, which *are* a bad
thing to have around.

Scopata Fuori

ObRoses: Climbing Peace is throwing up vicious, 3/4" thick basals, but is
not blooming again. I think I will end up moving it, since the telephone
pole I was going to wrap it around really does need to be taken out.