Old 15-08-2003, 05:55 AM
John Savage

Default Potato yeild

Mark & Shauna writes:
What are those in the group getting for a yeild on potatoes? In pounds
of harvest compared to pounds planted. I have heard that if you are
really kicking some butt you can get 10 pounds per pound planted, I am

My Mum is a keen potato grower, and routinely gets 3 to 5 large spuds
per plant; but when particularly lucky, it can be 6 or 7. Some plants
will have only 2, plus a handful of babies.

Rating your yield as lbs/lb is not the best comparison, as the prudent
gardener plants *small* seed potatoes then digs up *large* potatoes.
The size of the seed potatoes is not indicative of what they will
yield: the seed growers have a commercial trick which turns out lots of
small seed potatoes, it's what growers want--to plant a few frugal oz.
and dig up lots of lbs.