Old 15-08-2003, 05:57 AM
Shiva

Default New Anti-vole Weapon!

Susan H. Simko wrote:

J. Del Col wrote:

Releasing snakes into new territories is not a very good idea. What
will happen is that the more competitive snakes will survive, while
the less successful will move on to new territory or starve. Nature
really is red in tooth and claw. She also likes to keep her books
balanced. Predator/prey ratios are not easily changed.

Yes, but black rat snakes are native to central NC.

Aha! I had no idea. As for JDC's comment, I wonder why nature is keeping
her books balanced in favor of a vole infestation here? My love of mulch,
perhaps? The fact that there were big spongy mole tunnels here a few years
ago, perfect for voles to move into? Also, why the heck doesn't the SUPER
TOXIC TERRIBLE Orthenex I used for four years cause them to at least
SPIT OUT the roots? Its detractors tell me it kills everything that consumes
it and worse, so how come my voles seem to think it is salad dressing?
The way they are breeding, it appears to be good for them.

Shiva, the one problem I do see is that they will eat just about
anything they can catch that's not too big for them to swallow. Hence,
chipmunks, etc. may also be dinner.

Yeah, I gave up on the snake idea. When I moved here there were two
chipmunks, now I go out on the side porch and see 8-12 scatter. They are
SO cute! They love screwing around with the squirrels. They mock fight and
chase each other. I put two whole overripe tomatos out in the back and
had entertainment for three days. The squirrels first tried to drag them
away (fighting over them) then figured out that they had to have them in
smaller pieces and ripped at them. Meanwhile, the chipmunks stood by, counting
on the squirrel's, uh, squirreliness, and waited until the squirrels went
off to chase one another to sneak in and get some tomato.

Personally, I love snakes. When I start having vole problems, this
sounds like a good solution for me. Only problem that I can see is
keeping them from migrating to some one else's yard. Number one, I
would want them to eat my voles and not the neighbor's and number two is
that so many people are phobic about snakes that they may not live too
long in someone else's yard.

I imagine that may be true. My neighbors are pretty interesting, though.
But there is no way I am going to see the chipmunks hurt. They're free
entertainment! What did you do about voles, Susan?

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu