Old 15-08-2003, 06:00 AM
rlb827

Default Overwintering fish question

HI all

I know that I should be enjoying the fish in my pond instead of worrying
about putting them to bed for the winter but.....
I live in the Chicago area. This is my pond's first year and the water is
amazingly clear and healthy and the plants and fish are thriving (3 new
babies). It has all been too good to be true. Thus my concern for the
overwinter survival of my fish that were transplanted from someones
overstocked pond. My pond is about 14x16 and about 26" at the deepest spot
which is about 4'x4'. I have ten fantail goldfish ranging in length from 6"
to 9" (plus the 3 babies). If I put a floating deicer in over the deepest
part of the pond will the depth be enough to overwinter the fish in the
Chicago winter climate? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Randy