Old 15-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Rhino

Default OT virus

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:47:47 GMT, in rec.ponds you wrote:

Hey GrannyEast
You got it right on Norton! I keep the Anti-Virus Updated.
It's Automatically updated ... they let me know via a right hand corner
pop-up. This step is as crucial as scanning the system on a daily basis.
I have a 4 or 5 year old system. I keep it cleaned - often.

GrannyWest

"SNIP FOR BREVITY

I am still running Win98 and it isn't affected by this worm. I have had good
luck with "EZ Antivirus" as a small footprint program from Computer Associates
International. It doesn't interfer with any other programs and runs in the
background. It updates in only about 2 minutes and I have never been infected.

I use "Tiny Personal Firewall" from Tiny Software. Again it has a small impact
and really does well blocking ports before any thing gets through. I used
ZoneAlarm and BlackIce in the past but this seems to work better. In fact I
installed it in Oct 2001 and it has never needed updating or given problems.

Another program I use is called "Finjan SurfinGuard" from http://www.finjan.com/
This program is an anti-virus but it detects when something trys to run or trys
to change a setting on the sly, then stops it and lets you know. If you get
the "worm" it would block it from being able to run on your system. I think it
said that it sort of boxes in whatever it is and watches it without letting it
get to your main system. I really like it.
And finally i use a neat utility called WinPatrol. I copied this from their
website
"
WinPatrol with Scotty the Windows Watch Dog will sniff out Worms, Adware,
Spyware, Cookies, Trojan horses and other malicious, nasty programs that may
attack your computer without a need for constant updates. One Aug 11th,
WinPatrol was detecting and removing the MS Blaster worm while other software
companies scrambled to create new definition files. "

Both Finjan, Tiny personal firewall and Winpatrol are freeware. The antivirus
was $19.95 with free updates. All four of these run in the System Tray and use
very, very little resources.
rhino

See my pond
www.htcomp.net/rhino_4_good/index.htm

"Without the second ammendment, the others are just suggestions."