Old 15-08-2003, 06:09 AM
B & J

Default Full Sun Question

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
y.com...
You never get full sun indoors, even in a south facing window. Indoors,

the
light intensity is always much less. Glass filters out some of the
wavelengths and transforms some others into heat. That's why you should
never move a plant grown indoors directly into full sun until the plant is
first acclimatized to growing outdoors. A plant grown outdoors in the

shade
will often receive more light than one grown in a south facing window. You
can use a light meter to measure the differences.

That's logical. I start most of my vegetables such as tomatoes, peppers, and
okra, as well as numerous flowers from seed under grow lights and in south
facing windows in a sun room. I've learned from experience that one does not
plant seedling directly from the indoor environment into the ground in the
sun without first having the plants grow through a "hardening in" process.
Tomatoes do just fine when going from the house to the outside if the cages
I plant them in are covered with clear plastic - ordinarily in early April.
The clear plastic takes the place of glass. Even tomatoes like afternoon
shade in Zone 6B during the summer.

John