Old 15-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Mike Lyle

Default Banned Herbicides & Pesticides

"ned" wrote in message ...
Franz Heymann wrote:
snip
....... but my worry is that I doubt if enough
food to feed the whole world would be produced if organic farming
principles were applied globally.

Franz

There will never be enough food to feed the whole world. Your concern
is about an unsolvable problem.
First priority should be to curb the population then apply a neat
'environmentally clean' solution to the food production.

There is already enough food to feed the whole world: the problem is
simply one of money to buy it. Even during its most notorious famine,
Ethiopia was exporting agricultural produce; when at one stage many
Indians were suffering malnutrition, India was still exporting rice
and cotton. "Famine" is often misunderstood: it has rarely if ever
meant that a whole country was short of food, but usually that weather
conditions or war have pushed food prices beyond the reach of poorer
people. The same was true even in the notorious Irish potato famine,
which, I may say, was followed by a similar blight event in England.

Population control happens naturally when a certain level of security
is reached, and people no longer need large families. Some parts of
Africa are actually underpopulated in terms of farm work-forces.

Mike