Old 15-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Mike Lyle

Default Getting rid of yew stumps - advice please

"Earnest Trawler" wrote in message ...
[...]
I can't help reflecting that the
oldest living tree in Europe may be an ancient yew in Scotland. I'd
love to think a tree I planted might still be there in two or three
thousand years' time.

Mike.

I know what you mean Mike. Two miles from me is an ancient yew tree
estimated to be 1600 years old, every time I see it I imagine this little
sapling sitting there as the last of the Roman legions packed up and left.

Thanks, ET, for a beautiful mental movie, which I'll be running all
day! In fact, several different movies: I've already been through ones
with different weather, fiery wartime skies, miserably trudging
legionaries, cheerful "We're out of here!" homeward-bound
legionaries...all with this little seedling in the foreground.

Mike.