Old 15-08-2003, 11:02 AM
martin

Default Getting rid of yew stumps - advice please

On 15 Aug 2003 02:47:48 -0700, (Mike Lyle)
wrote:

"Earnest Trawler" wrote in message ...
[...]
I can't help reflecting that the
oldest living tree in Europe may be an ancient yew in Scotland. I'd
love to think a tree I planted might still be there in two or three
thousand years' time.

Mike.

I know what you mean Mike. Two miles from me is an ancient yew tree
estimated to be 1600 years old, every time I see it I imagine this little
sapling sitting there as the last of the Roman legions packed up and left.

Thanks, ET, for a beautiful mental movie, which I'll be running all
day! In fact, several different movies: I've already been through ones
with different weather, fiery wartime skies, miserably trudging
legionaries, cheerful "We're out of here!" homeward-bound
legionaries...all with this little seedling in the foreground.

Most Roman legionnaires stationed in UK were not from Italy, anymore
than non officer members of the French Foreign Legion are from France.

Change your mental image to Croatians and Serbs guarding Hardrians
Wall :-)
--
Martin