Old 15-08-2003, 01:32 PM
paul

Default How to be an irritating neighbour.

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , martin
writes

Many farmers received substantial compensation for foot and mouth

Farmers did *not* receive 'compensation'.
They were paid the market price for the animals that were forcibly taken
from them and destroyed. They were unable, using this money, to restock
to the same levels when they were finally told they could buy more
stock.

and
for not farming livestock in future.
This explains the large number of shiny new tractors etc. and new 4x4
vehicles a year after NE Yorkshire farming was supposed to be
devastated by the results of F&M.

The farmers round here do not have any new vehicles at all. In fact they
are still struggling, working harder than ever for lower rewards.

If Margaret Thatcher killed our mining industry, then you can say Tony
Blair is well on the way to killing our farming industry. Farmers are
getting pig sick of all the inaccurate, adverse publicity that is being
flung their way. We live on an island: God help us if we ever have a
crisis which means we can't import food and we have no farmers left to
produce it.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

very true and the market price that they we given was not very high, very
similar to you trading your car in as opossed to selling it privately you
always get more privately. many farmers went bankrupt due to the foot and
mouth, also several lost their lives because of it. yes the farmers got some
compensation but typical of the government, they only paid out the absolute
minimum, forcing farmers to sell up the only lively hood that they knew and
the home that they had been living in for generations.

the government has set guide lines by the european comunity to import a set
percentage of european stock i.e. milk, cheese, beef etc. so reucing what
our farmers can produce but europe will not take out products from us. there
is something really wrong here. we should only have to import enough to
supliment what we can produce her ourselves. and if that means greatly
reducing the import product then so be it and tough luck to the rest of the
european farmers who are laughing at us shipping us their products but
taking ours in return.