Old 15-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Skippy Filter man says....

UV's will kill single cell algae, the ones responsible for "green water".
MOST UV's, and I make that statement with confidence - do NOT kill bacteria.
The wattage necessary, and the dwell time of the water while exposed to the
light, just isn't within the reach of most of us. Like a lot of equipment
aimed at ponders, the capabilities of a UV are very overstated. That being
said, the UV can *only* kill that which passes through it. The biobugs
growing in the biofilm growing in your filters is static: it doesn't move,
is not exposed to the UV, and is not subject to annihalation by it. Want to
kill green algae? Get a UV. Want to kill string algae, bacteria, etc.? Find
something else.

Lee

"FBCS" wrote in message
Man from Skippy filter (maybe Skippy, I don't know) say to get rid of my

UV
if I use his filter. Can someone expound on this?