Old 15-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Gregory Young

Default Water Hyacinths

Hi Jerri:
One of our club members was successful at overwintering hyacinths. He used a
metal halide light, with rapid gro added to the water in a kiddy pool.
It was just an experiment, because as it turned out he figured that the 250
watt metal halide cost more to operate that 2 seasons worth of hyacinths!
Most hyacinths managed indoors survive in our area until about
February/early March, when they turn to mush.
I add them yearly to my compost pile, it's not cost effective to overwinter.
BTW, we are in zone 5.
Happy ponding,
Greg

--

"Jerrispond" wrote in message
Theoretically, a bucket of pond water with some Hyacinths in

willoverwinter in
the greenhouse/garage/shed as long as it doesn't gettoo hot/cold. They

can
then be returned to the pond after the last
frost of the spring.

Glad to

see
you wrote the word theoretically....because in all my ponding years I have
never known anyone in zone 7 or colder to sucessfully winter any over.

Even
with grow lights and the whole bit Jerri