Old 15-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Chris Owens

Default aerating lawn: anyone try those shoes?

Heidi wrote:

Speaking of aerating lawns (dog safe fertilizer) has anyone ever tried
those strap on aerating shoes? I have been intimidated to try them as
1) my feet are a size 6.5 and I just don't see any of the "one size fits
most" models fitting my tiny feet and 2) last year the yard was so hard
after the drought I thought if I was able to puncture the ground I would
never get past the first step.

My questions: has anyone tried them? Would anyone recommend using
them? And if so, has anyone seen a model that comes in various sizes?
If not the shoes do most folks pay a company to come out and aerate the
lawn, or rent the machine from a home improvement type store, etc...?

Rent the machine; it will actually pull little plugs out of your
lawn. I once spent an hysterical afternoon watching my neighbor
compact his soil with a set of the shoes; that is, when he wasn't
falling over every other step. Unlike the 'so easy'
demonstrations on TV, he found that the only way he could
actually walk in the things was to do a 'knees up' with every
step.

But, before you spend the money at all, make sure your lawn
actually needs aerating. IME, this is one of the most over-rated
treatments for lawns. I've always found that improving the soil
by applying top dressings of compost worked just as well, was
cheaper, and one heck of a lot easier. The only time I've ever
seen aerating actually be worth the effort was when you're
talking about really, really compacted soil with scraggly grass
just barely surviving in it. And, even then, if you don't
improve the soil, the aeration is going to be of limited effect
and value.

Chris Owens