Old 15-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Simon Avery

Default SALT QUESTION

(Jerrispond) wrote:

Hello Jerrispond

J natural. I have hundreds of water plants and I believe it
J is harmeful for the plants....salt is very good for fish
J that are sick.....so if you need to salt a fish he should be
J in quarentine anyway...catch him and put him in a HEATED
J quarentine tank Jerri

I have a problem with that, because I stand no chance of catching any
of my fish, short of draining the whole 8,000 gallons of pond and
killing the rest of the pondlife and upsetting the whole balance. Ever
tried catching a single fish, amongst dozens of others that look
identical in a big pond? Life's too short!

OTOH, I don't add salt either. Nor any chemicals. Not for any
particular righteous reasons, it's just I don't see a need for it.

So I just don't bother.

One dead fish isn't a problem. TBH I could do with less healthy fish
'cos then the wildlife would stand more of a chance. ATM I have 8 6"
goldfish and over a hundred of this years' babies, from 1/2" to 3".
Even with heavy feeding, they're still scouring all the little
squigglies from the pond. TBH, the fish were a mistake. I didn't want
them in /that/ pond, but they went over the waterfall from another,
through three small ponds and 20' of stream.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK Ý
http://www.digdilem.org/