Old 15-08-2003, 06:22 PM

Default Organic Corn Kills Butterflies??? what the?

the natural organism, bacteria, is capable of mutation unlike the protein inserted
into the corn. Yes, if the Bt is over used without letting resistant borers
interbreed with sensitive ones, they could become resistant. however, dont know how
much the specific toxic protein can change. lets say resistant corn borers are
everywhere and if somebody does isolate a new Bt that corn borer is not resistant to,
then how much will the company charge farmers for the new improved and patented
version? right now Bt is cheap.
compare that with Bt israeli which is the variation used against mosquitoes. yes, it
also kills midges, so not 100% specific. Ingrid

"LeeAnne" wrote:
I wonder if the corn borers could become resistant to a natural organism?
Which, to my understanding is what the Bt is - a bacteria that affects only
the borer? Much like those mosquito dunks you use in ponds -- it affects
only the mosquito larvae - I think it's also some type of Bt. If I am
wrong, please correct me.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com