Old 15-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Franz Heymann

Default New Scientist - glyphosate, increases the risk of fungal infections

"BAC" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

wrote in message

snip
New Scientist isn't a 'learned journal' where scientists publish
papers, it's a magazine that tries to popularise science and publishes
news to that end. This sounds like science news of a sort so it seems
reasonable for New Scentist to publish it. It is a news item rather
than an article so doesn't imply much regarding the truth of the
claims.

That the matter is discussed in New Scientist is in fact my main

objection.
The results have not been subjected to peer review and are therefore to

be
regarded purely as gossip from publicity-seeking scientists.

Or as a newsworthy story of public interest, in the judgement of the
magazine's editorial staff.

As the article remains clearly in the realms of speculation and is not
masquerading as a peer reviewed 'scientific' publication, I fail to see

what
the problem is.

The problem is that there will be bandwaggoners who will disregard the
niceties of the situation and will start proselytising along the lines that
glyphosate encourages fusarium and should therefore not be used. Rather
comparable with the MMR vaccination fiasco.

Franz