Old 16-08-2003, 12:19 AM
Roy Hauer

Default Shrubs... Lowes vs Nursery.

While this may not be Lowes, I just have to say that I have gotten a
ton of plants from WalMart for FREE. Literally free. I drop by their
dumpster every Sunday, and it has yet to be found empty. They just
get their plants for free or next to nothing. Seems like it does not
matter what the plants are, they do wind up in the dumpster once they
get a new shipment in. I have all kinds of plants and most all have
responded and come back to a healty planat with a little bit of
pruning and decent waterings and a bit of fertilizer. I must have had
250 or more of those pink flower pots full of Petunias this year that
they sold for $3.98 a pot, I have about 40 of the Butterfly plant
bushes, tons of Hydrangia, and russian cane, as well as various trees
and shrubbery, roses bushes etc etc. At the worst they die, and I just
add the potted soils and roots in my garden for soil improvement.
Sure helps when yo have very sandy soils. The 5 grape vine plants I
found are all over 6 feet in length and doing fine. All I did was
water them good and then plant them.

At the end of the cool grass growing season I scrounged 11 bags of
manure, and close to 18 50# bags of rye grass seed, and other assorted
seeds. A test run n the shade of the rye grass gave e a good stand. So
now I have some to plant this fall for winter graze for my critters. I
know some folks would never think of dumpster diving, but I have found
lots of perfectly good things that is a sin to throw out and waste.

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com