Old 16-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Theo van Daele

Default Skippy Filter man says....

What ? You don't have a 4000 EUR (posh eh ;-) ) UV ? Silly woman :-)

UV sterilizers need to be either very big indeed or the water has to run
past it very very slowly.

Oh well, one can only do so much testing or reading about testing... our
"good" bacteria are in water, air, ice, your nose, and they will find your
pond/filter, if you want it or not. UV or not.

It *IS* a good idea to not turn a UV on too soon when you are running in a
new filter, but not because it would kill the bacteria in there. It won't
and it can't.

As a small aside: most of the tap water in the Netherlands is purified with
UV's (big mofos), and in Belgium they are starting to do the same in some
areas. No more chlorine. Good that, I think.

FWIW, I do have a UV (36 watts) and used it for 14 days in 5 years to get
rid of an algae bloom (after I rebuilt the pond).

Theo

"Lee Brouillet" schreef in bericht
All right, I'll back off: you CAN buy UV *sterilizers* for water, designed
for household or institutional water supplies. To find one that handles

the
kind of flow that ponds have you need to go to a 285 watt UV that will
handle about 3,000 gph and costs $3,688.00. That's HARDLY in the same

class
as the 40 watt or less UV's that most ponders use. Perhaps I erred in
"assuming" that you wouldn't have a $4000 UV attached to your pond. Mea
culpa.

Lee

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
"Lee Brouillet" writes:

UV's will kill single cell algae, the ones responsible for "green

water".
MOST UV's, and I make that statement with confidence
- do NOT kill bacteria.

So convince _us_. Got any references?