Old 16-08-2003, 08:42 AM
martin

Default Banned Herbicides && Pesticides

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:15:05 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

What is important, is what consumers think they are buying in
supermarkets when they buy organic. Perhaps a bit of publicity is
needed to clarify this for the woman with the shopping trolley.

That's a very sexist and patronising assumption you're making.

It wasn't intended to be sexist and I don't see why you use the word
patronising. Don't women do most of the food shopping in the UK and if
not what the hell are they doing cluttering up supermarkets in vast
numbers? Waiting for Elvis.

Contrary to evidence in this thread, not all men are off their
trolleys, and many of them are educable.

My point is that people do not know exactly what is meant by organic
food. I quote the BBC. If they did I doubt that many would spend the
extra money needed to buy it.
My wife is a highly educated woman, she was as shocked as I was, when
we found out what the UK organic food industry really meant by
"organic".
--
Martin