Old 16-08-2003, 09:12 AM
martin

Default How to be an irritating neighbour.

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 08:24:15 +0100, Andy
wrote:

On 14 Aug 2003 12:44:36 GMT, (Bill Pritchard)
wrote:

I am a townie who has just moved to the green stuff. My first impression is
that, round these parts, the f***er is considered,and considers himself, amost
a god. A f***er,s idea of hard times is having to make his new Range Rover last
18 months instead of 12. If you really want to annoy, stop tugging you forelock
when he passes.

'You never see a farmer on a bike.' as they say round here.

I have thought long and hard about this even in the nineteen forties I
can't remember ever seeing an English farmer on a bike. My best friend
was a Yorkshire farmer's son and his father did have a bike I can
remember his son using a hacksaw to saw through the crossbar and his
disappointment that it went undiscovered. I can't remember his father
ever not being on the farm. I do remember that the furthest his elder
adult brothers, who worked as unpaid farm labourers, had ever been
was to York 6 miles away.
--
Martin